Friday, May 21, 2010

David's training hits the trail...

RE: Beshears Journal Entry 5 - May 21

As David's climb dates approach, he's switching up his training routine...

May 21, 2010

Worked the treadmill 3 times this week, worked the stairs 3 times this week, went on my outdoor hike one day. The treadmill work is about an hour at a brisk walk and set to incline, and I put blocks under the front in order to increase the incline. The stair work continues to be 20 flights three times a day at a very brisk pace, and I’m carrying my computer backpack filled with heavy books (I’m in my office building after all…). The hike is about two hours on uneven terrain while carrying a pack with the 10 essentials and a couple of free weights.

I managed to use the Bowflex twice this week, focusing on upper body and some abdominal, and even got on the exercise bike once for about half an hour. I did a little free weight work several evenings, as well as stomach crunches and some pull-ups.

I’m feeling very good physically and mentally, but there are two things I would really like to include in my routine over the next weeks. One is to really push at my limits while out on my weekly hikes, and the other is to get out on that full day uphill climb that I’ve yet to do.

So first up I’m going to focus on one section of that weekly outdoor hike. While there are a lot of ups and downs and twists and switchbacks on the trail, there is one stretch that is steeper and a more rugged grade than most. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t take me that long to make it up to the top. So from now on, when I get to that section of the hike I’m going to take half an hour and round-trip the slope a half a dozen times before moving on. That should put some oomph into the morning.

And I am I’m really looking forward to the two full-day climbs that I have coming up. I have my Mt. Rose climb this weekend and the Camp Muir climb that I’m hoping to get in June 12th or 13th.

I’ll let you know how all this goes.

No comments: