Monday, July 5, 2010

Meet Allison - Training for Rainier!

We've got another round of climbers who are training for Rainier later this summer - Here's a look at Allison's training...

Hello, my name is Allison and my husband and I (along with my brother, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law) are scheduled to climb Mt Rainier over Labor Day weekend.

Why are we climbing Mt Rainier? Well, we are a military family and this is our second time stationed here at Ft Lewis, WA. We are constantly looking up at Mt Rainier and saying "Wouldn't it be amazing to climb that Mountain!". In December of this year, my little brother came out to visit while my husband was deployed and looked at me one day and said "Let's climb Mt Rainier".  He knew that if he said it out loud, I would follow through, so, after much planning (having 5 children 9 and under requires a LOT of planning), we decided to do it.

My training really began back in January when I began doing the P90X workout at home. Since finishing that, I have taken up the Insanity DVD workout and finished round one about a month ago. This week, I ran my first 1/2 Marathon...YEAH! My goal was to run it in under 2 hrs, however, I didn't realize just how incredibly hilly the course was and how hot and humid it would be running in Connecticut along the Long Island Sound so early in the morning. Needless to say, I have a goal and have signed up for another 1/2 Marathon in September.

I am currently out east visiting my family and will return to Washington in about a week. My husband is due to return from his latest deployment in a few weeks and then the training will really begin, for both of us. I am excited and nervous all at the same time about this climb. It will be an experience of a lifetime!

No comments: