Saturday, July 3, 2010

Lindsay get's out and hikes!

This week has been the most hectic week. It’s the last week of school and it seems like training is taking a back seat. I was able to get in one resistance training session on Tuesday and 8 hills in a hill training session on Wednesday, but that was about it. My husband and I finally were able to get out to the mountains for an actual hiking weekend. My pack was about 37 lbs and it certainly felt heavy when I first started out on our hike, but got used to it quickly. Our first hike was 10.4 km with an elevation gain of 590 m. My boots worked out well and I was thankful for having my hiking poles. They helped me steady myself with the weight on my back, especially when climbing over fallen trees and other debris on the trail. By the end of the hike my hips were a little sore, but overall I was impressed at my ability to get through the hike. The next day was just a quick hike up to a lake with a distance of 7 km. My shoulders and hips were a little mad at me when I put my pack on again, but I found it was quite easy to adjust to the weight. This weekend was a start and now the countdown begins...4 more weekends until the climb up Rainier! My husband and I are off to do some back country camping and practice hikes this weekend. We get an extra long weekend with the Canada Day holiday so we should get some pretty good hikes with some more elevation.

No comments: