Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jenny is ready to climb

Today I head to Ashford Washington so ths is the last entry prior to the climb. The last two weeks have seen an increase in the amount of leg strengthening and stair climbing in preparation for the climb. I began hiking to work with a laden backpack, as well as engaging in focused sessions in my apartment building- creeping up and down from the ground to 5th floor in reps of ten, trying not to wake my neighbours at 6am! Then toss in a couple of gym sessions and a surprisingly energetic hip hop dance class. I have full respect for how fit dancers are!

I just spent 4 days in beautiful San Francisco visiting family and taking advantage of the hills! Running up and down the 45 degree slopes was a brilliant reminder of what a difference real inclines make in your training. I managed to find a particularly steep section of taylor street just on the edge of downtown where they have had to put steps in the footpath to scale the 7 floors between cross roads which I ran up and down and up and down and up and down....you get the jist. I was actually quite surprised to find many others doing the same thing and taking advantage of the natural geography as an outdoor gym. There is also nothing quite like topping a hill and seeing the majestic view down to fishermans warf, the bay and the golden gate bridge. Breathtaking.

So that concludes the preparation. I can only hope it was enough to ensure I really enjoy it on the mountain. I am now looking forward to finally beginning the next phase of ths adventure, wish me luck!

No comments: